Windows 10 is finally here and it is time to decide whether you want to upgrade to Windows 10 or stick with your older version of Windows. If you are hesitant to upgrade to Windows 10 because you might not like it, then you don’t have to worry about it. Whatever the case is, we are going to cover each and everything in this tutorial including how to download and install Windows 10 and see if you like it. And if you don’t then how to revert back to your previous version of Windows.
How to preview Windows 10
Windows 10 is available worldwide now and according to Microsoft, ”it’s the best Windows ever.” Microsoft said that the new Windows 10 improves on a lot of things that were pointed out by the people who joined the Windows Insider Program. As an Insider, you can opt-in to receive preview builds of the Windows 10 before it is launched for the public. Follow the steps below to become an Insider.
- Go to https://insider.windows.com/
- If you already have a Microsoft account, click on the Get Started button. Otherwise click on Signup and create a Microsoft account.
- On the next screen, login with your Microsoft account credentials
- Next, you have to accept the terms of agreement and choose areas of interest.
- Click on the checkbox located inside the black border under the agreement.
- Scroll down and you will see a list of options to select. Choose any of these based on your interest.
- Click on the Submit button after you are done with the above step.
- Now you are an Insider and can now preview Windows 10 future builds.
- In the end, make sure to go through this link in order to get your PC ready for the Insider Preview builds
How to download Windows 10
If you want to download a fresh copy of Windows 10, follow the steps below.
1. Go to Windows 10 1. download page.
2. Scroll down till you see the Select edition section. From the dropdown menu, select the first option – Windows 10.
3. After you have selected the correct version of Windows 10 to download, click on Confirm.
4. Now you will be asked to choose the language. Select the correct language you want in Windows 10.
5. After this, you will be asked whether you want to download 32-bit version of 64-bit version. The only major difference between the two versions is that if you have more than 4GB RAM or you run apps like Adobe After Effects that require 64-bit OS then download the 64-bit version. Otherwise 32-bit version is enough.
How to Upgrade to Windows 10
If you have a legit version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1, you can upgrade to Windows 10 for free. There are two ways to upgrade to Windows 10.
? Upgrade using the ISO file downloaded in the above section
1. After the ISO file is downloaded successfully, you need either a USB or a blank DVD that have at least 4GB of free space.
2. After you have the required media on which you can put the Windows 10 installation media, go to this 2. link again and use the Microsoft’s media creation tool to create a bootable Windows DVD or USB.
? Upgrade via Windows 10 app
Windows 10 app appears on your system after you have installed all the latest Windows updates on your system. You can use this app to reserve your free upgrade.
1. Once you see the app icon click on it.
2. In the next window, click on Reserve your free upgrade.
3. On the next window, enter your email address if you want to get a confirmation email that your Windows 10 upgrade copy is reserved.
4. Now you will join the queue of people who are waiting to get the free upgrade. Once your number is up, the app will start downloading Windows 10 in the background.
5. After the downloading is complete, you will get a notification that your system is ready to be upgraded to Windows 10.
6. Simply follow the steps pointed out by the Windows 10 app, sit back and relax till it upgrades your PC to Windows 10
How to revert back to Windows 8 if you didn’t like it
There is a chance that you won’t like the new Windows 10 and want to revert back to previous version of Windows. There is a way to do it. Just follow the steps below and you will be reverted back to Windows 8 or Windows 7 whichever you had previously.
1. Open Start Menu on Windows 10.
2. Click on Settings.
3. On the left column of next page, click on Recovery.
4. On the right side of the page, you will see an option titled Go back to Windows 8. Under this, click on the Get started button.
5. On the next page, you will be asked why you are reverting back to your previous version of Windows. Choose any number of options you like and submit your feedback.
6. Once you hit the Next button, a message will appear on the next page thanking you for trying Windows 10.
7. Click on Go back to Windows 8 button and the recovery process will start.
Note: You will have 30 days to revert back to Windows 8 or Windows 7 after you installed Windows 10. After 30 days, you won’t be able to go back to your previous version of Windows 8 or Windows 7.